Sunday, May 16, 2010





Every year we have a road association meeting in our village, to decide how to keep the road in good kondition and if there has to be any speciffic repairs or changes on the road. We do get some grants from the state to keep it in good shape. In many villages this is an open war :-) that can continue all year long. Some people just can´t take a majority decision that gone against their wish. I know how bad it is where my oldest brother lives, they have gone so far sometimes that they have sued each others :-) :-) :-) In Sweden we can´t even remotly come any close to the sums You can get in a law sued in the US. Over here the best You can get is pocket money.



The old lady is still going strong :-)
Orvar has found a water vole hole. Very interesting :-)


Hector looking out into the bog.

In our village however the hate from some of the villagers are so big that they don´t even turn up and that makes our meetings so easy and quick :-) The owner of Bjurum castle also owns some properties in our village so they turn up every year too. Since we do want as many people to come as possible we´ve chosen a neutral place to have our meetings, the old village school in Bjurum, but that didn´t help much to be honest. So we were going to have our meeting there last Friday but when we came inside the old building it shows they had turned of the heating system for the season. It was actually colder inside than outside :-) :-) So the castleowner invited us to the castle instead. As he said, at least it´s a bit warmer there :-)


Bertil was like always with us on our walk.

Firns are finally starting to grow.



If I had known this I would have brought my camera or mobile phone, so unfortunally I have no photo´s. The castle is in need of hughe repairs and they are going to start with renovations as soon as possible. The roof has tiles made of slate and only that will cost a fortune I belive. The facade had fallen of in big chunks too, something one can´t see from a distance. The entrence hall is much smaller than I had expected and also these walls were slowly falling appart. You can´t own a castle and at the same time be poor.


The Japanese wood poppy is slowly unfolding its lea to show the flower bud.

Christmas rose.


We held the meeting on the second floor in the big Knight´s hall. Even if the castle isn´t that big I think I could fit in my cottage inside that room :-) :-) :-) I don´t know how high up the ceiling actually is, but It´s higher than my cottage. An enormous chandelier was hanging from the ceiling and it was so heavy that they couldn´t move it :-) :-) The second floor was in o´pretty good condition and we took a small tour there. Beside the Knight´s hall the other rooms were pretty small and in every room there was at least one tiled stove (in the Knight´s hall there were two) and they really needed those since there were no central heating what so ever in the castle. Except for a couple of paintings on former owners, that I didn´t take any clooser look at since I´ve never had any higher thoughts of the nobility, the latest owner only left a set of old sofa´s. They were really old and in a rokoko style. They are white with lots of gold on them. The owners called them The Saddam furnitures since they looked like some furnitures on an official photo of him and his family. I have to say that these sofa´s were amongst the uggliest I´ve ever seen :-) :-) :-) comfy though. My first thought when seeing them was that they must have been in an old western movie when they showed a brothel :-) :-) :-)


Checkered daffodil, white and the normal colored.
Soon the Wood anemone will be pale blue.


My favourite room was a tiny, tiny room by the south wall. It is perhaps 3 meters (3 yards) long but only 1,5 meters (1,5 yards) wide. They had a sofa in there and a small table, that´s all. The windows is high and lets all sun in. They sits there every evening looking at the sun go down.



The bumble bee is looking for food in a Uvularia grandiflora, Largeflower bellwort. We call it "Sorrow clock" and this is my abnsolute favourite in my garden.





Well now it´s time for a cup of tea and then a nap I feel. It´s grey outside today but rather warm. The morning walk was much like yesterday and I enjoyed every second of it :-)

Have a great day now!

 
 
My Soldanella.
 
 

12 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hi christer...that must ave been really fun getting to see the castle. i think living in castles is highly over rated! it is just too darn expensive to run them. i have several friends who own castles in ireland and scotland and it costs them a fortune. but they all have castle envy and have the need to outdo each other.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Hi Joyce!
It was fun to see the inside of it, but I would never want to have a castle of my own! There´s always a problem somewhere and as You say, costs a fortune! As this castle didn´t have any central heting just the work of keeping it warm every winter is way to much work :-) :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post and I love castles. I would keep one and fix it daily and charge people to tour it, maybe on weekends only. Your description was really funny and informative. I think you should hold your road meetings there always. Lovely images today too. Lots of doggie photos, that's nice. Hello Bertil!! Have a great day.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Hi Z&M!
I do like looking inside castles, but own one is a certain way to pouverty if one isn´t already filthy rich. Those few pennies one gets from tourists doesn´t cover much.
Another thing is that people has a tendensy to turn up in the most strange hours of the day. They really don´t care about visting hours :-)

He mentioned something about having the meeting there next year :-)
Have a great day You too!
Christer.

Alen Trädgård said...

Härliga foton! Tur att man slipper vara med i några vägföreningar;) Verkar vara livsfarligt;) Tur var ju i alla fall att ni fick se er om på slottet. Alltid spännande att få se insidan på sådana ställen. Ha det gott/Monne

Wenche said...

Pity you dont have the camara with you, perhaps next time.
give my regard to my favorite, Bertil.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Tjänare Monne!
ja vägföreningar är inte att leka med :-) :-) :-) Rätt enormt att folk kan reta upp sig så över en väg egentligen :-)

Ja trots förfallet var det imponerande där inne. Men ett sådant slit bara för att hålla värmen uppe där inne!
Ha det gott!
Christer.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Hi Wenche!
If we are there next year I´ll ask permission to take some photo´s. It might be that they don´t want that. Castles are perhaps places that burgulars would like to visit, especially if they can see what´s there by my photo´s.

Have a great day now!
Christer.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hi christer...that is the cistern i built on the side of my garage which i built to look like a ruin!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Hi Joyce!
It is so well built that I was almost certain it was a ruin! I really like it!
Take care!
Christer.

NinaVästerplana said...

Den soldanellan var ju gôrfin....
I Västerplana har vi en belysningsförening.... men det verkar inte va nåt tjafs med den.
Tvärtom, jättetrevliga möten.
Bjurum skulle va kul o få se på insidan....
Ha´t himla gôrgôtt
Nina

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Jo du, den soldanellan är allt en liten pärla :-)

Nu när så många håller sig borta från mötet är våra också jättetrevliga :-)
Ha det gott!
Christer.